Par Avion. That's French, for airmail for you non Frenchie speakers. The tradition of sending and receiving mail via plane, train and automobile has sadly lost it practicality due to modern inventions such as e mail, facebook, skype, texting and other social networking devices. It costs more and is less efficient to send snailmail, but for me a good old fashion hand written note sent the good ole fashion way means so much more than any document I receive in my daily overflowing in-box. To me it relays the message that this person took the extra time to sit down and thoughtfully think about me- to perhaps even search for that "just right card" to make me laugh or smile. I especially love getting something OTHER than bills in my mailbox..... sadly, this is happening less and less......
HOWEVER, just this week I was lucky enough to personally receive a letter that traveled via airmail from a friend whom I have never met, but had spent the better of 8 years corresponding with. Her name is Michelle, and she and I became pen-pals in 3rd grade! I have to say, I relied on the social network, Facebook, to track her down in Europe a few years ago, and I was ecstatic when I found her! Since then we've posted on one another's facebook walls and reconnected since having parted pen-pal ways after graduating from high school. Recently we decided it would be fun to send each other old letters we had sent to one another, and THIS is what I received!
 |
| One of the very first letters I wrote in 3rd grade, Frank D. Rowe School. Can you read it? |
 |
| .........aww.... |
|
|
|
 |
| This is supposed to be the farm! Wow, my perspective was off, and I still can't draw! | | | |
|
|
|
 |
| A letter a few years later, I believe I was in 5th grade |
 |
| Oh my spelling..... |
|
 |
| A lovely grown up letter from Michelle. She has always had such lovely handwriting! |
No comments:
Post a Comment