Sunday, April 17, 2011

Patience with Pottery

Last April (yes, April 2010), Tim and I began a series of pottery class from one of the teachers at my high school.  We learned how to work with the clay, how to use the wheel to try to form something beautiful out of the red lump we were given, how to glaze our pieces, and then patiently wait for the pieces to be readied in the kiln.  We learned all of this in only 5 or 6 classes. Needless to say, we didn't get to finish the glazing step with all of our pieces during this time, but Nathan, (my co-worker and ceramics extraordinaire) told us to come up to the art room at any point to finish up.  


Tim and I finished up last weekend, almost a year later...... I didn't take photos during the beginning steps when our hands were all icky with clay, but last weekend when Tim and I finished up, I brought the camera along.



Before






Glazing colors

After first step of glazing





I am most proud of my mug on the left. It fits my hands perfectly!




Mugs: last two are mine, the blue one is Tim's

Definitely Tim's creations: Lizard and Bee vase

Tim's pitcher and vase/vinegar cruet

My two bowls

This is Tim's extraordinary  "hand" mug. You put your hand in it to grip it. 



6 comments:

  1. love it! you two are quite artistic - in both clay and photography!
    - courtney

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks, court! let's meet up at lunch sometime soon. i need to get my fill before you guys leave the country!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. these are beautiful!!! I love the variety and artistry =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could tell which were Tim's by the creatures upon them and also the crookedness of them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. so cool! I love Tim's hand mug...and all of them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aubyn!! So, I'm flipping through blogs today, randomly come across this one, see your picture and am like, wait... that's Aubyn! haha, I'll definitely be back for more Adventures on Abbott. If you feel like stalking Brandon and me, we're over at MeetTheCamerons.blogspot.com

    See you around! Jen

    ReplyDelete